Rosedale Gardens Presbyterian Church (USA)
Position Description: Director of Adult Hand Bell Choir
Director of Adult Hand Bell Choir
The Director of Adult Hand Bell Choir plans and leads the work of the bell choir. The Director reports to the Pastor Head of Staff and works under the general direction of the Worship and Music Committee of the Session. Specific responsibilities include:
- Rehearse and direct the Bell Choir according to schedules determined in coordination with the pastors, and other music staff. The Bell Choir will participate in a minimum of six 10:30am Sunday services during the program year (Sept – June), presenting at least ten music pieces during that time.
- Maintain clear and regular communication with the choir members concerning rehearsal and worship schedules, as well as expectations of participants.
- Select music for the Bell Choir appropriate for the skill level of participants, and for presentation in a setting of Reformed worship.
- Ensure the Chimes hand bells and associated music are properly taken care of and maintained.
- Request approval of any expenditure from the Worship and Music Committee.
- Attend Music Planning Meetings in August & January with the Head of Staff and Music Staff.
- Submit all Sunday worship service bulletin information on each bell choir piece to the office secretary in a timely manner.
- Each week read the Tuesday morning staff meeting email summary notes. (This position is not required to attend the Tuesday staff meetings.)
The Director of Adult Hand Bells should have a music degree and/or extensive prior
Hand bell experience.
As an employee of RGPC you must pass a background check due to the presence of children and youth in the building.
This part-time position includes attending the annual (August and January) Music Planning Meeting with the Head of Staff, conducting weekly (Thursday evening) rehearsals for the bell choir.
Personality Characteristics Required
- Must be a self-motivated person
- Have a “team” style of leadership
- Must be organized and follow a schedule but remain flexible
- Must be a person of Christian faith
- Must be reliable, dependable, and patient
Reporting Relationship and Performance Evaluation
The Director of Adult Hand Bell Choir is directly accountable to and acts under the direction of the Pastor Head of Staff. After the first 90 days of employment an initial employment performance evaluation will be conducted by the Pastor Head of Staff, the Chair of the Worship and Music Committee, and a representative of the A&F (Administration and Finance) Committee. Thereafter, annual performance evaluations will be conducted (during thesSummer months).
Terms of Employment
This is a part time stipend position with no benefits; compensation will be specified in a separate Employment Agreement.
Who to Contact
If you are interested, or know of someone who would be interested in this position, please contact Pastor Kellie Whitlock or C. Benton of the A&F Committee by October 15, 2018 to submit your resume, a short statement of faith, and references. An interview may then be scheduled, with an anticipated start date of November 1, 2018 with a first rehearsal on or about November 8, 2018.
Rosedale Gardens Presbyterian Church
9601 Hubbard Ave.
Livonia, MI 48150
Kellie Whitlock, Pastor
734-422-0494 ext. 118